nifi-users mailing list archives

From Bryan Bende <bbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recovering From Bad Flow Configs
Date Thu, 02 May 2019 16:42:44 GMT
You can set nifi.flowcontroller.autoResumeState=false to start NiFi
without running everything.

On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 12:23 PM Ryan H
<ryan.howell.development@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We spin up multiple instances of NiFi for multiple users in a containerized environment.
A common issue that we run into is users misconfiguring components such that it will crash
NiFi for whatever reason. The containers will automatically try to restart themselves, but
NiFi will never be able to come back up because of the misconfigurations that caused the issue
in the first place. Primarily because the state of the components that are poorly/improperly
configured were in the "Running" state when the crash happened, and the same will be true
when the restart happens (thus stuck in a crash loop).

> So the options that we know of to handle this are:
> 1. Delete the flow.xml.gz file (hope that they used Registry and have a backup, not always
the case though) (or pull in an archived flow).
> 2. Set the state to everything in the flow.xml.gz file to "Stopped" or "Disabled" which
will allow NiFi to come back up and the problematic components can be reconfigured before
restarting them/trying again.

> We obviously expect our users to follow good development practices, but it isn't always
the case. Is there a better way to handle this?
> Is there a flag of some kind that we can pass to NiFi when starting that says: start
the app, but don't start any of the components that are on the Canvas (turn everything to
the "Stopped" state before starting) (./nifi.sh start --noFlow)?