nifi-users mailing list archives

From Pierre Villard <pierre.villard...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Nifi capabilities
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:06:37 GMT
Hi Dweep,

I'll let other chime in, but here are some answers to your questions:

1) Yes - NiFi supports a very fine-grained authorizations model and
authentication mechanisms.
Authentication:
https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/administration-guide.html#user_authentication
Authorization:
https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/administration-guide.html#multi-tenant-authorization

You can also find resources on the Internet on how to setup authentication
& authorization.

2) I'd say that it is up to your requirements and if you need high
availability. From a pure performance standpoint, vertical scaling is
probably enough for your use case unless you have very huge amounts of
data. Clustering will help you achieve even better performance (millions of
events per second), and will improve reliability in case of failure.

3) Yes the data is persisted. There are some parameters that you can tune
based on your tolerance against data loss.
Example: nifi.flowfile.repository.always.sync - If set to true, any change
to the repository will be synchronized to the disk, meaning that NiFi will
ask the operating system not to cache the information. This is very
expensive and can significantly reduce NiFi performance. However, if it is
false, there could be the potential for data loss if either there is a
sudden power loss or the operating system crashes. The default value is
false.

In other words, unless you have serious hardware/OS failures, you should
not lose any data. And everything will be persisted/restart upon NiFi
restart. In case data loss is a critical part of your system, using a
broker like Kafka with the ability to replay events could be a possible
solution.

4) I recommend this awesome post by Bryan:
https://bryanbende.com/development/2016/09/15/apache-nifi-and-apache-kafka

5) There are some options available for the metrics. You can have a look at
reporting tasks for this purpose. A set or articles you can read is
available here:
https://pierrevillard.com/2017/05/11/monitoring-nifi-introduction/

Hope this helps!
Pierre