nifi-users mailing list archives

From Andy LoPresto <alopre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Curious about Best Practices for Deployment of Workflows
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2019 20:20:08 GMT
Ken,

There are a lot of disjoint resources that discuss some of these concepts, but they are not
well-organized at the moment. I would recommend Kevin Doran’s presentation at Dataworks
Summit 2018 [1] as a good starting point, specifically including some activity hooks which
can automate much of the process you describe. Drew Lim has also recorded some videos showing
features and workflows (I separate workflow [“the process of performing some manual activities
against the NiFi ecosystem applications”] from dataflow [“the graph of components which
runs within NiFi and ingests, routes, transforms, and persists data”]) [2] (scroll down
to “Videos”).

If others can chime in with their resources as well, we can collect these into a more useful
format and hopefully enable more people to use these tools productively.

[1] https://dataworkssummit.com/san-jose-2018/session/sdlc-with-apache-nifi/ <https://dataworkssummit.com/san-jose-2018/session/sdlc-with-apache-nifi/>
[2] https://nifi.apache.org/registry.html <https://nifi.apache.org/registry.html>

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

> On Oct 18, 2019, at 12:53 PM, Ken Swanson <kswanson@1904labs.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> My group is getting started with NiFi and I'm hoping to draw on people's experience.
I was curious if there were any best practices for NiFi when deploying workflows. When I deploy
new code to production, there's often pull requests, code review, and then CI/CD to actually
put it in production. Is there anything similar for workflows, or do people have solutions
that they use?

> I'd love it if there was a way for someone to make a local change to a workflow/process
group, push that up to the registry, and then a reviewer see a diff of the change, approve
it, and then it get automatically put onto master. Is this something people tend to do with
NiFi?