nutch-dev mailing list archives

From "Chirag Chaman" <...@filangy.com>
Subject RE: [Nutch-dev] Starting a non-profit organisation running Nutch with a thousand or more sponsored servers
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:30:28 GMT
Michael:

Not exactly sure what you're asking for, but I would be happy to donate a
bunch of servers (make that souped up desktops)

CC-

--------------------------------------
Filangy Inc.
http://www.filangy.com/jointheteam.jsp

-----Original Message-----
From: nutch-developers-admin@lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nutch-developers-admin@lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Michael
Wechner
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 6:09 PM
To: nutch-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [Nutch-dev] Starting a non-profit organisation running Nutch with a
thousand or more sponsored servers

Hi

I was recently thinking that it would be fun to start a non-profit
organization in order to run Nutch as a really "transparent and open" search
engine, very similar as for instance Google, but really focusing only on the
search.

Thanks to all Nutch devs the software is there or it's getting there, but it
would be a nice challenge to get the infrastructure founded on a non-profit
basis, whereas I can only talk for myself and I would be happy to provide a
dedicated root server and appropriate bandwidth (whatever that means). And I
am sure there would be many others in order to challenge for instance
Google. A 1000 servers is quite a lot of money, but one server is affordable
by all kind of people and companies.

I am aware that servers is not the only thing, but I would be interested
what the community thinks about such an "infrastructure" project.

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner