nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Starting a non-profit organisation running Nutch with a thousand or more sponsored servers
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:09:14 GMT
Hi

I was recently thinking that it would be fun to start a non-profit
organization
in order to run Nutch as a really "transparent and open" search engine, very
similar as for instance Google, but really focusing only on the search.

Thanks to all Nutch devs the software is there or it's getting there,
but it would be a nice challenge to get the infrastructure founded on a
non-profit basis, whereas I can only talk for myself and I would be
happy to provide a dedicated root server and appropriate bandwidth
(whatever that means). And I am sure there would be many others in order
to challenge for instance Google. A 1000 servers is quite a lot of
money, but
one server is affordable by all kind of people and companies.

I am aware that servers is not the only thing, but I would be interested
what the community thinks about such an "infrastructure" project.

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner