nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@nutch.org>
Subject Re: Licenses
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:49:35 GMT
Andy Hedges wrote:
>    Was just checking through the mailing list to see how things were
> going with Nutch. It seems that two of my contributions had to be
> removed because they aren't compatible with the ASF licenses (rtf and
> mp3 parsers). So what needs to be done to get them back in? Do
> alternative libraries need to be written/used that are either BSD or ASF
> licensed? Could you let me know and I'll try and find sometime to
> rectify the issue.

Right, Apache doesn't permit GPL'd stuff on Apache servers.  One
possibility is to rewrite them to use different libraries.  Another
approach is to just get the user to download the required stuff themselves.

For example, a plugin's build.xml can download required libraries as
follows.  First, add a few properties noting where the required jar
lives on the net, and where it should be stored:

<property name="foo.jar" value="lib/my.jar"/>
<property name="foo.url" value="http://foo.com/foo.jar"/>

http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/available.html

Then define a target to download it as needed:

<available file="${foo.jar}" property="foo.jar.available"/>

<target name="download-foo" unless="foo.jar.available">
   <get src="${foo.url}" dest="${foo.jar}"/>
</target>

http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/available.html
http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/get.html

and finally, override the init-plugin task to first download it:

   <target name="init-plugin" depends="download-libs"/>

Does this make sense?

Doug