nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject OpenSearch API (Re: Nutch / CGI)
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:38:47 GMT
Hi,

The CGI use case could be treated as a special case of integrating Nutch
with another largely incompatible environment, in a loosely-coupled
system. A popular way to do this would be to use an XML-based API from a
CGI script.

This is yet another case that speaks in favor of adding an
"out-of-the-box" XML API to Nutch. There are only a couple of ways to do
it that make sense, IMHO:

* REST - HTTP GET or POST request, with query parameters contained in
GET or POST parameters. An XML data document with results is a response.
Lightweight, easy to implement and create, and relatively easy to
consume. Lack of high-level API-s in most programming languages could be
a problem, though.

* RSS - a special case of the above, where the response follows a
standard schema. A big advantage to use this is its popularity and a
large base of tools (libraries, readers, aggregators).

* SOAP - SOAP-encoded request and response. Well integrated into most
programming languages, but certainly less efficient (consumes more
bandwidth, CPU and memory to create and consume).

* XML-RPC - more lightweight than SOAP, but follows a similar RPC paradigm.

AFAIK, there is a specification called OpenSearch, an extension to RSS,
created by Amazon/A9. However, I was unable to find the terms of use for
that specification, so it might be encumbered. As I wrote above, using
RSS gives strong advantages, so it would be nice to figure out if we can
use it.

Existing API-s from other search engines are unfortunately encumbered by
their restrictive terms of use, so it is dangerous to re-use them.

I believe that Nutch community is uniquely positioned to propose and
promote an open, unencumbered XML API for search results syndication.
Let's have a discussion about this - I already implemented a REST
interface, which I could clean up and contribute, there were other
people on the list who planned to implement the SOAP interface.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki