nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Groschupf ...@media-style.com>
Subject Re: [Nutch-dev] Adding title and site to scoring
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:54:02 GMT
Piotr,

> Lucene offers you possibility to boost paricular fields
> in a document but this functionality is not used in nutch (as far as I
> can tell).

First this statement confuse me, but after digging in the sources I
would say you are right.
I missed that until writing my last mail and was thinking nutch use
field boosting as well since this is one of the cool features of
lucene.
I simply oversee that the basic query filter only search in a set of
fields, since I was just too much  thinking in the use case of my
shortly submitted plugin.

Anyway I have two thoughts  in general.
Some days ago I was reading "Why Writing Your Own Search Engine Is
Hard" by Anna Patterson and one of the repeated suggestions was
something like "pre calculate ranking where ever you can".
Well I'm not able to say if this translatable to nutch or lucene in
general, may only Doug or Erik can give any comment.
So I would be interested to know if boosting until index time is faster
until search time then using boosting until query generation.

The other thought is, since now there are some people think about
ranking, I asking myself what kind of abstractions we can do to make
ranking improvements more easily to implement.
First I would say it make sense to make boosting values configurable
since some people can play around and report experience.
Furthermore I would be interested to see a discussion if and where we
may can create a extension point that allows implementing of ranking
plugins.
This would be may be very interesting for the research community to
play around with it.

I'm very interested to see your patch tomorrow. :-)

Stefan