nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@nutch.org>
Subject Re: Build.xml's symlink not working on CygWin [jira offline?]
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:53:25 GMT
Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> Dawid Weiss wrote:
>> Doug -- is there any strong rationale of having CygWin as the
>> development shell for Windows?

To minimize duplication of logic.  If there are two implementations of
something that must be maintained in parallel, then they're likely to
get out of sync.  All the more so if testing them requires different
operating systems.

> For my part I can't see any, except that the main "nutch" script
> requires a Bourne-compatible shell.

Build.xml uses "exec" in a few places.  These would need to be fixed.

> IMHO it would be better to rewrite
> to a *.bat file for Windows users, rather than require them to install
> Cygwin. Tomcat catalina.bat scripts could provide excellent start - they
> are well tested.

I might support this if the .bat file and the .sh file were driven by a
common config file.  We'd need a table mapping command names to class
names and one-line descriptions that could be used by both scripts.

Changes to classpath logic will still require both scripts to change,
which will likely cause problems at some point, but perhaps fewer
problems than are presently encountered with cygwin?

Personally, I always use cygwin when developing on Windows.  I use it
for shell, ssh, svn, X, etc.  So, for me, cygwin is no burden.

Doug