nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@nutch.org>
Subject Re: Event queues vs threads
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 16:58:49 GMT
Kelvin Tan wrote:
> Each of these stages will be handled in its own thread (except for HTML parsing and scoring,
which may actually benefit from having multiple threads). With the introduction of non-blocking
IO, I think threads should be used only where parallel computation offers performance advantages.

> Breaking up HttpRequest and HttpResponse, will also pave the way for a non-blocking HTTP
implementation.

I have never been able to write a async version of things with Java's
nio that outperforms a threaded version.  In theory it is possible,
since you can avoid thread switching overheads.  But in practice I have
found it difficult.

Doug