nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Groschupf ...@media-style.com>
Subject why task tracker ports random?
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:37:15 GMT
Hi,

why are the taskReportPort and mapOutputPort randomly generated?
I can not see any reasons for that and wondering why we not just have
that configurable as well.
I can understand that in some situations it is necessary to
reinitialize the task tracker but it can use in any case the same
ports if that are just closed before reinitializing.
Beside that a behavior like the datanode that iterates until it find
a free port would be a better than just random.

Would a patch have a chance to be applied? I can create one, but I
wouldn't love to waste time in case people do not want to chance this
behavior.

Stefan