nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <chris.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [Nutch-cvs] [Nutch Wiki] Update of "ParserFactoryImprovementProposal" by ChrisMattmann
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:20:00 GMT
Hi Otis,

On 9/15/05 10:14 AM, "ogjunk-nutch@yahoo.com" <ogjunk-nutch@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Quick comment about order="N" and the paragraph that describes how to
> deal with cases where people mess things up and enter multiple plugins
> for the same content type and the same order:
>
> - Why is the order attribute even needed?  It looks like a redundant
> piece of information - why not derive order from the order of plugin
> definitions in the XML file?

Well, yes and no. Having the "order=" attribute explicitly forces the user
to decide up front what the order should be. By having order be semantically
derived from the order in which the tags are parsed, you remove that
information from the user up front, and assume they know that order matters.

However, in the interest of time and brevity, we decided that it would be
nice to support both options, that is, if they specify an order, then go
ahead and accept that, otherwise, if they don't specify one, then the
ordering which you suggest is applied.

We think that such a solution affords both types of users: users that like
to explicitly spell out options in their XML, and on the other hand, users
which like the short hand of just doing the xml attributes in order.
We are open to suggestions on this though...

Thanks for your comments Otis, and for reading the proposal!

Cheers,
  Chris