nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Google performance bottlenecks ;-) (Re: Lucene performance bottlenecks)
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2005 09:42:48 GMT
Hi,

I made an experiment with Google, to see if they use a similar approach.

I find the results to be most interesting. I selected a query which is
guaranteed to give large result sets, but is more complicated than a
single term query: http com.

The total number of hits (approx) is 2,780,000,000. BTW, I find it
curious that the last 3 or 6 digits always seem to be zeros ... there's
some clever guesstimation involved here. The fact that Google Suggest is
able to return results so quickly would support this suspicion.

When I ran the query for the first time, the response time was 0.29 sec.
All subsequent queries retrieving the first 10 results are in the order
of 0.07 sec.

This is for retrieving just the first page (first 10 results).
Retrieving results 10-20 also takes 0.08 sec, which suggests that this
result was cached somewhere. Starting from results 20+ the response time
increases (linearly?), although it varies wildly between requests,
sometimes returning quicker, sometimes taking the max time - which
suggests that I'm hitting different servers each time. Also, if I wait
~30 sec to 1 minute, the response times are back to the values for the
first-time run.

start   first     repeated response
30      0.14      0.08-0.21
50      0.29      0.11-0.22
100     0.36      0.22-0.45
200     0.73      0.49-0.65
300     0.96      0.64-0.98
500     1.36      1.43-1.87
650     2.24      1.49-1.85

The last range was the maximum in this case - Google wouldn't display
any hit above 652 (which I find curious, too - because the total number
of hits is, well, significantly higher - and Google claims to return up
to the first 1000 results).

My impressions from this excercise are perhaps not so surprising: Google
is highly optimized for retrieving the first couple of results, and the
more results you want to retrieve the worse the performance. Finally,
you won't be able to retrieve any results above a couple hundred, quite
often less than the claimed 1000 results threshold.

As for the exact techniques of this optimization, we'll never know for
sure, but it seems like something similar is going on to what you
outlined in your email. I think it would be great to try it out.

Andrzej

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><