nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: best file system for NDFS?
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:43:56 GMT
Stefan Groschupf wrote:

> Hi geeks,
>
> I have not that much much deep knowledge about the unix file systems,
> so my questions what would be the best file system for nutch
> distributed file systems data nodes?
> Does it make any different using the one or the other file system?
> Would reiserFS a good choice?

Most of the time we deal with very large files, with sequential access.
Only in few places we deal with a lot of small files (e.g. indexing).
So, I think the best would be an FS optimized for efficient sequential
write/read of large files.

Is reiserfs such an FS? I'm not sure, I think these requirements point
rather to a fairly primitive FS (not FAT - a real FS ;-) ), perhaps
reiserfs is too complex.

When in doubt, test.

--
Best regards,