nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: IndexOptimizer (Re: Lucene performance bottlenecks)
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:06:46 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>
>> Ok, I just tested IndexSorter for now. It appears to work correctly,
>> at least I get exactly the same results, with the same scores and the
>> same explanations, if I run the smae queries on the original and on
>> the sorted index.
>

> Here's a more complete version, still mostly untested.  This should
> make searches faster.  We'll see how much good the results are...
>
> This includes a patch to Lucene to make it easier to write hit
> collectors that collect TopDocs.
>
> I'll test this on a 38M document index tomorrow.

I'll test it soon - one comment, though. Currently you use a subclass of
RuntimeException to stop the collecting. I think we should come up with
a better mechanism - throwing exceptions is too costly. Perhaps the
HitCollector.collect() method should return a boolean to signal whether
the searcher should continue working.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><