nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: version branches / two products
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2005 00:58:46 GMT
David Wallace wrote:

>Would it be worthwhile discussing the pros and cons of having two
>completely separate Nutch products?  If it is, then now is probably the
>right time to do so.

My take on this:

* it's too costly (in terms of available human resources) to maintain
both versions for a prolonged period.

* 0.7.x data formats are incompatible with the mapred branch. If we
maintain both versions, those who want to migrate will have to convert
their data.

* the mapred version can be run in a "local" mode, which requires just a
single machine.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><