nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Kangas <kan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Urlfilter Patch
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:23:08 GMT
Totally agreed. Neither approach replaces the other. I just wanted to
mention possibility so people don't over-focus on trying to build a
hyper-optimized regex list. :)

For the content provider, an HTTP HEAD request saves them bandwidth
if we don't do a GET. That's some cost savings for them over doing a
blind fetch (esp. if we discard it).

I guess the question is, what's worse:
- two server hits when we find content we want?, or
- spending bandwidth on pages that the Nutch installation will ignore
anyway?

--matt

--
Matt Kangas / kangas@gmail.com