nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Groschupf ...@media-style.com>
Subject Re: no static NutchConf
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 13:41:25 GMT
Hey Steve,

> Eclipse has a very good pattern for handling configuration for each
> of the
> components. Basically each component is responsible for its own
> configuration, and the tool just provides the framework to allow the
> configuration to be displayed, updated, and stored.

I know the eclipse configuration mechanism, we have different case
with nutch.
The eclipse mechanism does not allow to run two eclipse in the same
jvm, sure for eclipse that makes no sense, but for nutch it does very
much (e.g. have a search engine for different parts of a corporate
intranet on one box).
The eclipse mechanism is a kind of singleton configuration and each
component (eclipse plugin, load what it is interested in) for nutch
we need to pass the configuration properties down the call stack, to
be able running 2 fetchers with different configurations and having 2
instances of the same parser plugin but with different configuration
values.

Stefan