nutch-dev mailing list archives

From "Neal Richter" <nrich...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should URL normalization iterate?
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 18:51:46 GMT
Doug,

I think it sounds like a good idea.  It eliminates the need to order the
rules precisely...

We don't iterate them in HtDig and it's been on my todo list for a while as
well.

I would iterate until no matches, some max iteration number, or the URL is
obviously junk.

For the max iteration number I would use the number of rewrite rules you
have.  So if you have 10 rules, you iterate on all 10 rules 10 times.  That
will cover the case where your rules 'chain' in a 10 step sequence.  Sure
it's an edge case to do that, but I can see rule sets where you construct
3-step chains (like swapping strings or something).

Thanks

Neal