nutch-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan Tanaman" <alan.tana...@idna-solutions.com>
Subject RE: Issue with Boosting Fields
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 13:39:27 GMT
Hi Ian,

Many thanks for that explanation and especially pointing out the reduce
method.

I'm just wondering how this affects non-Nutch searcher implementations.  For
example, we are using Nutch for crawling/indexing, but our own application
(using Lucene's API) for searching.  As far as I can see, we would like to
continue using the nutch document-level scoring, but retain the ability to
boost fields explicitly, so that Lucene's own calculation of norm will take
the field-level boost into account.

Does it make sense to provide the ability to apply field-level scoring and
not always blindly apply the one calculated at document level by the scoring
filter to every field?

Best regards,

Alan

Alan Tanaman