nutch-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Doug Cook (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Created: (NUTCH-566) Sun's URL class has bug in creation of relative query URLs
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:56:50 GMT
Sun's URL class has bug in creation of relative query URLs
----------------------------------------------------------

                 Key: NUTCH-566
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-566
             Project: Nutch
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: fetcher
    Affects Versions: 0.9.0, 0.8.1, 0.8
         Environment: MacOS X and Linux (CentOS 4.5) both
            Reporter: Doug Cook
            Priority: Minor


I'm using 0.81, but this will affect all other versions as well.

Relative links of the form "?blah" are resolved incorrectly. For example, with a base URL
of http://www.fleurie.org/entreprise.asp, and a relative link of "?id_entrep=111", Nutch will
resolve this pair to the link
"http://www.fleurie.org/?id_entrep=111". No such URL exists, and all browsers I tried will
resolve the pair to "http://www.fleurie.org/entreprise.asp?id_entrep=111".

I tracked this down to what could be called a bug in Sun's URL class. According to Sun's spec,
they parse the relative URL according to RFC 2396. But the original RFC for relative links
was RFC 1808, and the two RFCs differ in how they handle relative links beginning with "?".
Most browsers (Netscape/Mozilla, IE, Safari) implemented RFC 1808, and stuck with it (for
compatibility and also because the behavior makes more sense). Apparently even the people
that wrote RFC 2396 recognized that this was a mistake, and the specified behavior was changed
in RFC 3986 to match what browsers do. 

For a discussion of this, see  http://gbiv.com/protocols/uri/rev-2002/issues.html#003-relative-query

Sun's URL implementation, however, still implements RFC2396, as far as I can tell, and is
out of step with the rest of the world.
This breaks link extraction on a number of sites.

I implemented a simple workaround, which I'm attaching. It is a static method to create URLs
which behaves exactly as new URL(URL base, String relativePath), and I use it as a drop-in
replacement for that in DOMContentUtils, Javascript link extraction, etc. Obviously, it really
only matters wherever links are extracted. I haven't included the calling code from DOMContentUtils,
etc. because my local versions are largely rewritten, but it should be pretty obvious.

I put it in the org.apache.nutch.net directory, but obviously feel free to move it to another
place if you feel it belongs there!




-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message