nutch-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Sam Xia (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] Issue Comment Edited: (NUTCH-356) Plugin repository cache can lead to memory leak
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 18:57:51 GMT


samx edited comment on NUTCH-356 at 11/6/07 10:57 AM:

I applied  cache_classes.patch to nutch 0.9. And it does solve the memory leak problem (outofmemory).

Should this be committed to source code?

      was (Author: samx):
    I applied  cache_classes.patch to nutch 0.9. And it does solve the memory leak problem

Should this be commited to source code?

> Plugin repository cache can lead to memory leak
> -----------------------------------------------
>                 Key: NUTCH-356
>                 URL:
>             Project: Nutch
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 0.8
>            Reporter: Enrico Triolo
>         Attachments: cache_classes.patch,, patch.txt
> While I was trying to solve a problem I reported a while ago (see Nutch-314), I found
out that actually the problem was related to the plugin cache used in class
> As  I said in Nutch-314, I think I somehow 'force' the way nutch is meant to work, since
I need to frequently submit new urls and append their contents to the index; I don't (and
I can't) have an urls.txt file with all urls I'm going to fetch, but I recreate it each time
a new url is submitted.
> Thus,  I think in the majority of times you won't have problems using nutch as-is, since
the problem I found occours only if nutch is used in a way similar to the one I use.
> To simplify your test I'm attaching a class that performs something similar to what I
need. It fetches and index some sample urls; to avoid webmasters complaints I left the sample
urls list empty, so you should modify the source code and add some urls.
> Then you only have to run it and watch your memory consumption with top. In my experience
I get an OutOfMemoryException after a couple of minutes, but it clearly depends on your heap
settings and on the plugins you are using (I'm using 'protocol-file|protocol-http|parse-(rss|html|msword|pdf|text)|language-identifier|index-(basic|more)|query-(basic|more|site|url)|urlfilter-regex|summary-basic|scoring-opic').
> The problem is bound to the PluginRepository 'singleton' instance, since it never get
released. It seems that some class maintains a reference to it and this class is never released
since it is cached somewhere in the configuration.
> So I modified the PluginRepository's 'get' method so that it never uses the cache and
always returns a new instance (you can find the patch in attachment). This way the memory
consumption is always stable and I get no OOM anymore.
> Clearly this is not the solution, since I guess there are many performance issues involved,
but for the moment it works.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.

View raw message