nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: NUTCH-92
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 21:40:32 GMT
Doğacan Güney wrote:

> It seems I wrote the patch in NUTCH-92. My recollection was that you
> wrote it, Andrzej :D

No, I didn't - you did! :) I only came up with the proposal, after
discussing it with Doug.

> Anyway, I have no idea what I did in that patch, don't know if it
> works or applies etc. Really,
> I am just curios. Did anyone test it? Does it really work :) ?

Not me. I shied away from the patch because I didn't like the 2 RPC-s
per search. I still don't like it, but I may have to accept it as an
interim solution.

That was my question, really - for release 1.0:

* are we better off not having this patch, and just be careful how we
split indexes among searchers as we do it now, or

* should we apply the patch, pay the price of 2 RPCs, and wait for the
patch implementing the approach that I proposed?

* or make an effort to implement the new approach, and postpone the
release until this is ready.

> I haven't read the paper yet but the proposed approach sounds better
> to me. Do you have any
> code ready, Andrzej? Or how difficult is it to implement it?

No code yet, just thinking aloud. But it's not really anything
complicated, chunks of code already exist that implement almost all
building blocks of the algorithm.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><