nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Update on Integration with Tika
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2009 20:00:14 GMT
Julien Nioche wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I came across the classloader issue that you mentioned but got
> everything to work OK by duplicating the class TikaConfiguration into
> the package used by my plugin. The lib tika-core goes into the main /lib
> dir of nutch while tika-parsers jar goes into the lib dir of the plugin.
> I now have a first version of the Tika plugin which does some very basic
> text and metadata extraction.

This is confusing. Could you please explain why various Tika parts need
to be put in different places? Also, the word "duplication" raises a red
flag ...

> What shall we do about the HTMLParseFilters? Get the generic TikaParser
> to create a DOM representation and pass it to the HTMLParseFilters as it
> is done now? Modify the HTMLParseFilters so that they use SAX events so
> that we can forward them from Tika? Any other suggestions?

The benefit of using DOM tree in HTMLParseFilters is that it's easier to
extract / remove parts of the tree without keeping track of the context,
which is the most complicated part of working with SAX - this context
tracking would have to be reimplemented in many plugins ... The downside
is of course the memory footprint - but we do limit the max size of the
documents elsewhere (in the protocol plugins). So I'd vote to keep using
DOM for now.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><