nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Nutch as a top level project (TLP)?
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:11:51 GMT

On Mar 20, 2010, at 11:25 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Personally, I don't see the advantage of Nutch going for a TLP.

I think it comes down to focus.  Nutch really isn't all that dependent on Lucene and there
is almost no overlap with the other communities in terms of the people developing it.  Both
of these things are signs from the Board that a TLP is warranted.

> It's just that very few people need a massively scalable web-wide crawling machinery
that Nutch provides.

Correct, but that is also orthogonal to the issue.

I don't care too much either way, but the Board definitely views non-overlapping subprojects
as being less desirable.  Granted, Nutch has been a sub for a long time, so maybe not such
a big deal, except AIUI, Nutch's primary focus these days is on crawling, which would suggest
from an organization standpoint that it is not as related to Search as being under the Lucene
PMC suggests.

At any rate, just my two cents from my view on the PMC and as a very occasional user of Nutch.

-Grant