nutch-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Nutch Wiki] Trivial Update of "FirstReport" by LewisJohnMcgibbney
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2014 03:48:52 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The "FirstReport" page has been changed by LewisJohnMcgibbney:
https://wiki.apache.org/nutch/FirstReport?action=diff&rev1=2&rev2=3

  === Future Actions ===

+ '''To be conpleted by student'''
+
  === Mentors Comments ===

+ It has been some three weeks now since I am aware that Fjodor actually began coding on this
project. He stated that he would be delaying the start due to exam committments and I was
fine with this. My main concern was what would be the tangible outcome for mid-term reporting
based upon how quickly he could get upt-to-speed with the rather complex nature of Nutch 2.X.
+ As far as I am concerned, and based on his initial report as above, I am pretty satisfied
that he understands the high level view of Nutch 2.X including the layers of Nutch as the
Hadoop-based application, Gora as the storage abstraction later, HBase (amongst others) as
the WebPage/Host storage mechanism, Solr as the indexing server and Hadoop as the framework
for running Nutch jobs on. This in itself takes most people much longer than 3 weeks so I
am reasonablty happy with his progress.
+ I would like Fjodor to be contributing his documentation at regular intervals to '''THIS
WIKI''', this serves a number of purposes
+  * It means I can track his progress between reporting sessions
+  * It means we have one place where all of the documentation resides
+  * It means we can direct GSoC admins, etc here when reporting comes around
+  * It means that future students and/or anyone else can find how the project went
+  * ... etc
+ I would like to see Fjodor take action on the following items
+  * If possible create a graphic of the REST API as it exists in his proposed patch for [[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUTCH-1769|NUTCH-1769
API refactoring]] this should only include the information included in his above commentary
on the topic.
+  * Provide links to the '''HTML Prototype''', I have not seen any of this code and therefore
cannot assert that progress has been made as described above.
+  * Provide links/patches for the '''application skeleton''' as stated above... I have yet
to see any code.
+ All in all, I am happy that Fjodor is being resourceful e.g. approaching Java developers
to get help, etc.
+ Fjodor has been a quiet student and has not asked a lot of me so far, if he wishes to change
this moving forward then I am very willing to engage more with him in his on going work.
+
+ Signed: Lewis John McGibbney (lewismc)
+