ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Ode / BPEL Donation of BPEL 2.0 Engine
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 06:12:10 GMT
Considering that people have expressed the clear desire to develop joint
work, an umbrella-style project housing multiple implementations of the same
domain, although probably workable for a period while the community's active
focus is on the joint solution, if persisted into the long term usually
leads to a balkanized project that breaks up.

The ASF has, as I noted on general@, no need to deal with independent
releases of the vendor products.  For that matter, we couldn't care less
about anyone's delivery schedules.  Our releases occur when determined by
our PMCs.  Vendors may have their own schedules, but our focus is building
an ASF project.  If someone wants to do a release on their schedule, they
are free to pull source code and use it in accordance with our license.

James mentioned that ServiceMix has some needs to work with Sybase's code.
I am sure that no one, *especially James*, wants anyone to have the
impression that ServiceMix is trying to co-opt the direction of this
separate project.  The Sybase code will be available for anyone, including
ServiceMix, to use as necessary, so you should feel free to pursue whatever
direction is jointly chosen by this community.

Although many of us who have experience in messaging systems will have input
to share, I would like to see Intalio, Sybase, and other process experts
take the initial lead on illuminating the technical directions.  I am keen
to see the discussions between Alex, Bill, Ismael, Matthieu, Paul Brown, et
al continue on the path that they have chosen.  To echo what Sanjiva has
said, I've seen very promising discussions, which I will actively follow.  I
also like Ismael's "goals" e-mail, to which I hope to see direct responses.

	--- Noel

cc: individuals mentioned, since ode-dev@ is a new list.