ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Ode / BPEL Donation of BPEL 2.0 Engine
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 17:54:21 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> I always get nervous when people try to smash together to different
> code bases.  Each code base will have a different set of assumptions
> and will be optimized for different environments and use cases.

Yes, but consider the words that you used, which indicate a mindset.  No one
said anything about "smashing together" codebases.  What was said by all is
that they want to work on a joint effort.

For the nonce, I am suggesting that we let the people who know the most
about the problem domain and existing codebases take the lead in
establishing that direction.  I find it interesting that Bill, Ismael, Alex,
Chris, et al, are expressing positive feelings, whereas more of the concern
is coming from people in the client domain.

> If there are people in the community that want to work on a code
> base which is optimized for their use cases we should let them.

Define community.  To quote someone from an IRC --- "if sybase+pxe+agilla
can get together into one, that it will be the defacto [sic] tool of choice
for 99.9% of users."  I agree with that opinion, and want to see this group
given the chance to do that, since that is their unanimously expressed goal.
If they decide otherwise after consideration, that'll be their decision, and
changes can be made to accommodate it.  Regardless, if another group feels
the need to do something different, they can.

> I do care about the community's ability to get releases for code that
> they are using.  I personally, would like to see a release of all of
> the BPEL code bases quickly so I and others can easily work on
> integration into our projects.

That will be for this PPMC to decide.  It might, or it might decide that
doing so would hamper its ability to chart its desired course, and would
only benefit users in the short term if their future integration should look
different from their initial contributions.  And releases are not the main
focus for an Incubator project.

> > I am sure that no one, *especially James*, wants anyone to have the
> > impression that ServiceMix is trying to co-opt the direction of this
> > separate project.

> Now that this project is forming, I hope we can put aside our past
> and form a healthy community.  Implications such as this only hurt us.

Agreed.  So, now let's give this group a bit of time to talk with each
other, review code, and begin to establish the project's direction.  It
isn't as if they have not asked for input.  Have you had a chance to reply
to Ismael's e-mail, yet?  James did, earlier today.

	--- Noel