ode-dev mailing list archives

From Maciej Szefler <...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: PXE Debug Help
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:40:42 GMT
Lance,
comments in line.
On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 12:16 -0600, Lance Waterman wrote:
> Thanks Paul - I'll give it a try.
>
> In light of a previous thread on the ODE API, I may be jumping forward a bit
> but I would like to get a better understanding of the PXE architecture.
>
> 1) Is it possible to invoke PXE such that a BPEL process executes within the
> client's context or is a PXE RMI server always required?

It is possible, but you'd have to use the BPEL libraries directly. If
you do that, you'd not be getting all the infrastructure that the
"Service Framework" provides.

I'm working on a re-factor of the BPEL API to make this a more
straightforward process, and should have it posted to the list today for
input.

> 2) I found the following FAQ on the PXE Wiki and would like to know if the
> core process engine ( i.e. jacob, bpel-runtime ) can be abstracted away from
> the task/threading framework ( i.e. sfwk-core, sfwk-impl )?
>
> *Q.* *Can PXE be deployed within an application server or web container?*
> *A.* Yes, PXE can be deployed into most common application servers. However,
> it is important to note that PXE is not an *enterprise application* in the
> J2EE sense: PXE manages its own transactions and threads. Consequently, if
> PXE is deployed using a WAR or EAR file, it will be in violation of a number
> of J2EE contracts.
Again, this is a statement about the Service Framework. In design and
function, the Service Framework is analogous to JBI. It does thread
management and violates J2EE contracts. The BPEL runtime / JACOB code
does no thread management of its own.

> 3) Is it possible to synchronously invoke a PXE BPEL process? I saw this bit
> of code in the BpelUnitTest ( line 160 ) so I thought I'd ask.
>
>       // We invoke here, but we get responses asynchronously, through our
>       // callback methods!
>       listener.invokeBPEL(
>           _callback, svc, i == 0 ? "initial" : ("#" +i),
>           msg.operation, patternSubstitution(sw.toString()));

The invocation model is asynchronous but it is certainly possible to
implement a synchronous invoker using the asynchronous primitives.
Again, please take a look at my proposed integration API when I post it
later today; it should clear some things up.

-maciej