ode-dev mailing list archives

From Maciej Szefler <...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Deployment Descriptors
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 21:42:24 GMT
Lance,

Although when developing the IAPI I was of the same mind, I've come to
accept service qname/port as my friends. I think it is important to make
the engine as much of a "black box" as possible: having the service
qname/port concept is very helpful in this respect because it is
general, "well-understood", isolates BPEL concepts from the IL, and
solves the uniqueness of partnerlink problem in the same way regardless
of what the IL implementation looks like. Also, this concept is already
used in JBI and Axis2 in the same manner, making the construction of
deployment descriptors in these environments straightforward.

For the embedded case you describe, the effort of programatically
constructing a deployment descriptor with the
partnerlink/serviceqname-port mapping is similar to implementing the
method you propose. The downside is that you would have to generate
unique service qnames for each of your partnerlinks, if your
implementation did not already have this concept. Overall I think this
is a small price to pay to not have to deal with scope names and partner
link names in the IL.

-maciej