ode-dev mailing list archives

From Maciej Szefler <...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Issue 10 / Versioning
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:28:13 GMT
Alex,
I don't think the following makes sense:

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 11:26 -0700, Alex Boisvert wrote:
> New process definitions may "override" the initiating operations and
> endpoints of retired process definitions to provide transparent
> migration to existing service consumers.  To prevent conflicts,
> deploying a process definition using the same initiating operation(s)
> and the same endpoint(s) of an already deployed process should fail.
> Similarly, retired processes could be re-activated if no process
> currently uses the same initiating operation(s) on the same endpoints.

A new process version, should--in fact I think it must--have the same
initiating operations and endpoints. The new version of the process is
deployed in the server on exactly the same endpoints as the old. The
server manages the routing to make sure that the correct version of the
process receives the correct messages. This can be done fairly easily
and allows the "client" of the process to be completely oblivious to the
fact that a new version has been deployed: the client keeps sending
messages to the same BPEL engine endpoint.
-mbs