ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Issue 10 / Versioning
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:37:18 GMT

> If we make no assumptions on the commonality or evolution of interfaces
> between process versions, then routing should follow the same rules as
> for routing between different processes.  Different process versions
> would be treated as different processes.  Wouldn't we save ourselves
> some complexity by doing so?

I like the idea that if I deploy a process, change it, deploy it again, the
engine is smart enough to automatically retire the old version, yet keep the
old definition accessible as long as instances exist, and as audit trail. I
could then look back at the history, roll back changes, etc.

A good deployment system for long running Java objects, wikis, versioned
control file systems and databases all work the same way. New version
replaces old one, old references point to old version.

There's great convenience in this feature, and great convenience in the
consistency.

Anything different requires extraordinary justification which I'm not
seeing, otherwise it's complex by virtue of surprise.

Assaf

alex

--
CTO, Intalio