ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: ODE vs PXE
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:41:43 GMT
On 1/23/07, Viraf Bankwalla <viraf_bankwalla@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Alex - thanks for the clarification.  My concern is largely with the
> unstable nature of ODE, and coordination of releases between the various
> components - designer, tempo and ode.

My mother is fond of saying that you can't make an omelet without breaking
eggs ;)

On the build side of things, I just spoke to Maciej and we agreed to take a
few steps:

1) Publish nightly builds so people have access to binary snapshots
2) Ensure all dependencies are replicated over multiple repositories to
avoid transient network and server outages
3) Review our dependencies on artifacts and plugins to use fixed versions
instead of moving targets (e.g. no more "latest" or snapshots)

Now from a runtime standpoint, I think we're going through a rough patch
during the migration to OpenJPA and the recent process versioning
changes.    The Hibernate side should still work fine so I recommend using
it if you're more interested in running things versus debugging code.
We'll also try to identify stable daily snapshots so those could be used
when the trunk become unstable.

Last, regarding synchronization, Apache Ode is an independent project from
Intalio's Designer and Tempo projects so it will continue to have its own
release cycle.  I think the latter projects can rely on specific snapshots
until an official stable release is made.

Does that answer your concerns?

alex