ode-dev mailing list archives

From Viraf Bankwalla <viraf_bankwa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ODE vs PXE
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:58:01 GMT
Alex - thanks for the clarification.  My concern is largely with the unstable nature of ODE,
and coordination of releases between the various components - designer, tempo and ode.

Thanks - viraf

Alex Boisvert <boisvert@intalio.com> wrote: On 1/23/07, Viraf Bankwalla  wrote:

> Could someone please clarify how ode differs from pxe.  My understanding
> was that the key difference between the opensource version and product
> offered by intalio was that support for application servers and
> databases.  I am begining to wonder if this is a correct
> understanding.  Hoping someone could help clarify.

Hi Viraf,

PXE no longer exists; the codebase has been donated to Apache and merged
into Ode.  The product offered by Intalio is a complete business process
management suite, including a BPEL engine (powered by Apache Ode), workflow
and security services, a management console, connectors and design-time
tools such as an Eclipse-based BPMN diagram modeler.   So I guess it's like
comparing the Linux kernel versus an actual distribution (e.g. Red Hat), the
differences go beyond the deployment environment.

The important point here is that the code from Apache Ode is already used
commercially with many happy users and that a growing number of people get
interested in BPEL as a way to develop composite applications.  This
generates more interest for the Apache Ode project and we hope even more
people will get involved in building and improving the best open-source BPEL
engine there is!

regards,
alex

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.