ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthieu Riou" <matthieu.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Release
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:11:19 GMT
Hi all,

The time has come to finally contemplate the possibility of a release. We've
cleared all our remaining IP issues (mostly regarding the WS-BPEL spec and
Hibernate usage, now replaced by OpenJPA) and we have a pretty stable
implementation now (perhaps a few rough edges left but we can fix this
before the release).

I've compiled release guidelines for our releases. Please take some time to
review them, I think we'll all need a basic degree of awareness of what's
needed for a release to be successful (or at least not a complete failure).
Ultimately we'll have to vote for it (or at least the PPMC) which is sort of
binding.

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ODExSITE/Release+Guidelines

Feel free to add what you think could be missing. A small issue left
unsolved (and potentially a very good bikeshed candidate) is the version
numbering scheme we're going to use. I'd propose the standard
major.minor.increment and start at 1.0. We could alternatively start with a
0.x although that wouldn't be my personal preference (we're passed the alpha
stage I think).

Now there's still a lot of work to do. Unless someone has more masochistic
inclinations than I do, I'm volunteering as "release manager" for the time
being. It's just to say that I'll do the grunt work of checking that we can
produce compliant artifacts. However there's a lot of common work that we
all have to accomplish before being able to release, mostly:

   - Cleanup our web site, add documentation where needed and give it a
   more polished and complete look.
   - Review all our pending issues for the coming
release<http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310270&fixfor=12312280>and
fix them. Eventually add more if something is missing.

Thanks,

Matthieu