ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Ode Performance: Round I
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 19:35:24 GMT
On 6/8/07, Paul Brown <paulrbrown@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, working off a single thread shouldn't be that bad.  The Erlang
> VM design uses essentially this concept:
>
> http://www.erlang.se/euc/05/1710OTPupdate.ppt

+1 to Erlang being a good influence in the language and VM space.

The problem with a single thread [1] in the Java VM is we still have too
many blocking APIs (JDBC for example)  and no lightweight continuation
support.

There's the consideration of porting Jacob to Scala, using the Actors
library... it's the best hack known to the JVM to get a decent mix of
concurrency, continuations, performance and brain not exploding.   Of
course, that begs the question of what is left in Jacob after that.  A
wrapper for pickler combinators?

alex

[1] Actually, 1 thread/cpu + 1