ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Process versioning / states
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 23:22:05 GMT
On 8/21/07, Rich Taylor <bhamtaylor@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. After restarting the Ode server, I see that foo-1(bar-1) is again
> started
> up.  I understand this is for any long running instances of this process.
> But I was thinking that the old versions of the process would not live
> through server restarts and apparently live forever, even with no
> instances
> are alive/created.

Correct.  We currenlty don't throw away retired process definitions if there
are no instances.

2. That said, for undeployment, do you explicitly need to undeploy each
> version of a process if it was deployed multiple times?

At the moment, yes.

> 3. Going further on the same subject, would there be some way to configure
> Ode to delete previous versions upon redployment if there were no long
> running instances being run?   Or is there a better way to manage previous
> versions of a bundle/process?

Yes, we could set it up to undeploy previous versions automatically (and
optionally destroy previous instances as well) for development/testing
scenarios.  I would see this as configuration options.   (See below for an
alternative)

We're looking at a scenario where someone is working in the Eclipse BPEL
> designer for example, and deploying every 2 minutes when they make tweaks
> their bpel process (during development).  After a while, there are
> _numerous_ versions of the same process deployed that will be around
> forever
> if I understand correctly.  I'm looking at how best to manage that.

Another option is to teach the Eclipse BPEL Designer how to undeploy
processes ;)   I personally I think that it makes more sense to do it in the
IDE because an Ode server might be shared between different people who
desire different behavior.   So I see it more of a personal preference.

alex