ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Ode and JSR170
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 23:33:30 GMT
On 9/5/07, Paul Brown <paulrbrown@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me try to put a finer point on what Maciej's saying.  Part of the
> infrastructure that the engine maintains is the set of correlation
> keys, and there is some magic to do pre-computation of keys for
> processes.  This facility puts a lot of traffic in that table in the
> database, so it's not so much transactions as having fine-grained
> locking available.
>
> That said, it's reasonable (and maybe desirable for other purposes) to
> think about splitting the DAO implementation into a couple of
> components -- one part in a traditional data store of some flavor for
> the correlations and a few other things and then one part in a storage
> medium like the JCR, an XML database, etc.

I think we should start by turning the question around.  What are the use
cases we want to support?

When it comes to data used by the process, I think there's a reasonable
justification to make it accessible to as many applications as possible,
with the possibility of having that data reside in data stores that are
provided separately from the process engine.

When it comes to data used by the process engine internally, I don't see any
compelling argument to decouple it from the process engine, and if the
process engine is best written in term of JDBC calls with certain RDBMS
assumptions, so be it.

Assaf

Just a thought.

> -- Paul
>

> On 9/5/07, Philipp Koch <philipp.koch@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > i'm guessing it might not practical to
> > > get that working using a content repository, since it is very
> > > "transactional" and prone to dead-lock.
> > you are talking about ode by saying " is very "transactional""? well
> > the jsr170 spec also supports for transactions, so does the jackrabbit
> > implementation (as reference impl)! i already did some migrations from
> > apps formerly using a db to jcr. it worked perfect!
> >
> > regards, philipp
> >
> > On 9/5/07, Maciej Szefler <mbs@intalio.com> wrote:
> > > so the hand-coding of jdbc i mentioned involves the code used to route
> > > messages to the appropriate instance. i'm guessing it might not
> practical to
> > > get that working using a content repository, since it is very
> > > "transactional" and prone to dead-lock.
> > >
> > > -mbs

> get
> is