ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Easy BPEL aka BPEL4Coders aka BPEL4Hackers
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 18:53:19 GMT
On 11/6/07, Paul Brown <paulrbrown@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the target user experience for EzBPEL?  IDE-like with syntax
> highlighting and error reporting?  It seems like we need something
> along those lines to come out with a net win over XML Schema or RELAX
> NG-driven editing of XML.

Being able to pop up a text editor, write up a process deploy it, send the
process to someone else, who can then read and understand what it does.

BPEL uses all the glory of XML that makes it obfuscated for people to read
or write.  A variable declaration foo of type ns:bar is easy enough, until
you need to fish for the in-context namespace declaration to figure out the
QName, find the right import and the read the XML Schema definition to
understand what the variable looks like.  Understanding what operations look
like from the WSDL, just as hard.  There are other things made unnecessarily
hard by the whole design of BPEL into something that fits into an XML
structure.

So the idea is not just to remove the angle brackets around element names,
or replace them with curly brackets, but to make a language that's humand
readable without dependency on tooling.

Assaf

-- Paul

--