ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Kearns" <dan.kea...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Easy BPEL aka BPEL4Coders aka BPEL4Hackers
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 04:52:49 GMT
On 11/6/07, Tammo van Lessen <tvanlessen@gmail.com> wrote:

Dan, of course you may use JavaScript or Java or whatever to express
> BPs, but then BP's root-concepts like scopes and concurrency must be
> based on native language concepts like threads and transaction
> managers and are neither easy to read nor first-class citizens anymore
> - which is at least for me the key of such a DSL.

That's not the case at all. Calling it a dsl means you are decoupling the
syntax from the original platform, implementation and constraints.

The question when reusing an existing syntax is how much the resulting
behavior matches the author's expectations, ie how much learning curve did
it cut out (vs how much irritation did it add by not being the language it
resembles).

> For the AAM proposal, we have no intent of bringing process engines to
> > JavaScript, but bringing a simpler syntaxt to the process engine, and we
> > just think JavaScript is a good starting point for that.

That's fine. I don't want to flog the javascript thing to death, and this
thread is probably now a good enough example of the danger of making the dsl
*look* like javascript.  ;-)

-d