ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release ODE 1.1.1
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:38:00 GMT
On 1/11/08, Matthieu Riou <matthieu@offthelip.org> wrote:

> We can't do anything about people downloading stuff from random locations
> and assuming they're what they seem to be just because their name seems
> right. Anybody can already create a zip that will be named ode-1.1.zip and
> put it out there with whatever inside.

People who trust code coming from Apache must receive trustworthy code, and
that's my only concern.  Trustworthy means the package name communicates
what's inside the package.  Official releases linked from the site's front
page obviously require more scrutiny, but I believe we need to show the same
level of respect with anything we put out there on any Apache server.

> That being said, my point was more that we can't "upgrade" a RC to a final
> anymore, like we have done before.

I have seen nothing that precludes upgrading an RC to a final, on the
contrary it clarifies the process for upgrading the RC to a final, making
sure people vote on the right thing.  So if we're interested in doing an
RC2, we have a process on voting for the RC2 and voting for a final based on
that RC2.  If we're not interested in doing an RC2, we can go right ahead
and vote for a final.

One we put a final out here, as indicated by its version number, then we
must make no change to it.  Doesn't matter if it shows up on the main page,
or held in a staging area until we're done tallying the vote.  If during
voting we decide to withdraw it, which happens, we proceed to the next
version number.

So the current vote is actually not for a RC but for a final and me using a
> RC name for the root directory was a mistake. So if it's okay for
> everybody
> I'll start a new voting thread using the correct naming.

+1

Assaf

Cheers,

--