ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Milinda Pathirage" <milinda.pathir...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ode and GSoC
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:34:32 GMT
Hi all,

I did some experiments with jQuery and lift web frame work (Sorry for the
late reply). I think jQuery will be a better choice for the client side. But
I have some doubts about using lift on the server side.
As I understand there are disadvantages as well as disadvantages. As Alex
mentioned in the previous mail
 - Deploying Lift webapps is the same as any Java .war file, so it should be
instantly familiar to our existing user base.
 - forward-thinking web frameworks are a more fertile learning grounds than
yesterday's technology (referring specifically to Java/JSPs)
are advantages.

But this will increase the number of dependencies. When thinking about
dependencies, we have to lift with ODE or ask users to install it and also
have to have Scala install in development machines.

Also according to my experience we can develop web interface by only using
AJAX and Web Services exposed specially for management related tasks
(Currently we have Management API, but if we need more functionality we need
to improve it). AJAX with Web Services technique is used in WSO2 WSAS AFIAK.

Also I think it's better if we can introduce some authentication and
authorization mechanism to this management interface. By doing this e can
limit functionalities for different user groups. Like admin can start/retire
process models but normal users can't. But when using this we  have think
about how we manage sessions and few security related things.

Also I have problems with buildr build system in Linux (Ubuntu 7.10).
Currently I am using binary distribution. It's better if some one can add
some more documentation or FAQ about these build problems. At one time when
buildr is successfully started in my machine, the rake build system crash
with segmentation fault :(.

Please feel free to comment in this.

Thanks in advance

Milinda