ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: Ode and GSoC
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:31:55 GMT
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 10:34 AM, Milinda Pathirage <
milinda.pathirage@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did some experiments with jQuery and lift web frame work (Sorry for the
> late reply). I think jQuery will be a better choice for the client side.
> But
> I have some doubts about using lift on the server side.
> As I understand there are disadvantages as well as disadvantages. As Alex
> mentioned in the previous mail
>  - Deploying Lift webapps is the same as any Java .war file, so it should
> be
> instantly familiar to our existing user base.
>  - forward-thinking web frameworks are a more fertile learning grounds
> than
> yesterday's technology (referring specifically to Java/JSPs)
> are advantages.
>
> But this will increase the number of dependencies. When thinking about
> dependencies, we have to lift with ODE or ask users to install it and also
> have to have Scala install in development machines.

Yes, more dependencies.  Regardless of the solution, I think one should be
able to build Ode without the Console, and vice-versa.

Also according to my experience we can develop web interface by only using
> AJAX and Web Services exposed specially for management related tasks
> (Currently we have Management API, but if we need more functionality we
> need
> to improve it). AJAX with Web Services technique is used in WSO2 WSAS
> AFIAK.

Yes, that's also possible but requires a bigger dose of Javascript.

> Also I think it's better if we can introduce some authentication and
> authorization mechanism to this management interface. By doing this e can
> limit functionalities for different user groups. Like admin can
> start/retire
> process models but normal users can't. But when using this we  have think
> about how we manage sessions and few security related things.

Agreed.

> Also I have problems with buildr build system in Linux (Ubuntu 7.10).
> Currently I am using binary distribution. It's better if some one can add
> some more documentation or FAQ about these build problems. At one time
> when
> buildr is successfully started in my machine, the rake build system crash
> with segmentation fault :(.

This is most likely because you're using JDK 6 or installing Buildr with
JDK6 as your default JVM.  Buildr doesn't work on JDK6 yet because of one of
its dependencies (rjb).  The documentation for Buildr 1.3 (coming soon) has
a better installation/troubleshooting guide.

alex