ode-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Brown <paulrbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [gsoc] Monitoring Console / Architecture
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 20:56:10 GMT

On May 13, 2008, at 11:23 PM, Vladimir Ritz Bossicard wrote:
> I've been listening to the conversation and I would like to make a
> suggestion.  If it is completely off-topic, please just disregard it.

Not at all; it's a good suggestion to consider.

> Why not exposing ODE's various management functionalities via JMX?
> The Monitoring Console would simply be a web based JMX console
> (similar to JManage) with the latest-greatest Web 2.0 technologies.

So, once upon a time, we went down a path of registering MBeans for
active instances, which is essentially what would be required to
support the contemplated management functionality via JMX, and we ran
into a number of issues:

1) Registering and then cleaning up the beans as process instances
were activated/deactivated was a significant load on the JVM and
sometimes even got ugly with deadlocks and other bad behavior.

(This is why the management API hits the persistence layer directly in
many cases.)

2) Without some fanciness (which is possible using undocumented
JConsole extension points), it wasn't possible to get a good drill-
down interface into a process's structure in general purpose JMX
management interfaces (i.e., JConsole).

I think it does make sense to ensure that our JMX interface supports
all of the functionality that it sanely can, but a good instance-level
management console isn't one of the things that I think it can do
cleanly.

Best.

-- Paul