ode-dev mailing list archives

From Tammo van Lessen <tvanles...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [gsoc] Monitoring Console / Architecture
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 16:09:55 GMT
Vladimir,

Vladimir Ritz Bossicard wrote:
> Why not exposing ODE's various management functionalities via JMX?  The
> Monitoring Console would simply be a web based JMX console (similar to
> JManage) with the latest-greatest Web 2.0 technologies.
>
> I see several advantages:
>   * the project can be split into two: 1) JMX interface for ODE 2) JMX
> management web application; Potentially 2 different students could
> tackle the tasks
>   * the JMX management console could also be used by other projects
> since it wouldn't be ODE specific

In the (yet unreleased) trunk the management API is exported as an MBean
to ServiceMix when using the JBI deployment. It should be possible to do
the same for the Axis deployment. However, I think an intuitive Web GUI
needs some domain-specific things like explanations, specific forms
(e.g. upload forms etc.) that cannot be covered that good by generic
approaches like JMX.
The RESTful monitoring approach discussed in this thread offers new
(i.e. Web 2.0-ish) possibilities for process monitoring and the console
could be one possible use case that sits on top of that. Its not a
replacement but an addition to JMX.

Best,
   Tammo