ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: ODE Clustering Support
Date Tue, 06 May 2008 18:14:22 GMT
The Axis2 integration already supports clustering.  (Well, maybe a better
characterization is that it doesn't get in the way)

There's a few things do to to support clustering.  First thing would be to
make the scheduler cluster-aware, to support work distribution (load
balancing) across different nodes and to avoid contention.   I suggested
using Terracotta as a basis for this, but there may be other (and better)
ways.

If we want to get more performance out of the system, we can introduce
varying levels of node affinity to reduce data shipping and improve cache
efficiency within the cluster.  This would probably entail some form of
distributed lock manager, or a registry to redirect messages to process
instances already loaded on cluster nodes.   This is an area where
integration with the messaging layer (Axis2) can help since you can
establish "sessions" between clients and services to improve message routing
and, again, cache efficiency.

The persistence DAOs (OpenJPA and Hibernate) also support clustering today.
Both can be configured to be cluster-aware and both support the more
aggressive transparent cluster cache such as Terracotta, JBoss Cache, etc.

Hope this helps,
alex