ode-dev mailing list archives

From Sasa Bojanic <sasa.boja...@prozone.rs>
Subject Searching for a sponsor for Shark project on Apache
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 13:00:55 GMT
Dear All,

I've already posted an email to incubator's list asking for a
champion/sponsor for moving Shark project to Apache.
I communicated with Matthieu Riou and he suggested ODE could be a
sponsor for this project and told me the best way would be to start
discussion on this list.

Let me repeat what I already posted to incubator list:

Enhydra Shark workflow engine is a project currently hosted on ObjectWeb
(http://shark.objectweb.org/)

It is the most popular open-source java workflow engine completely based
on WfMC standards.
It uses XPDL1.0 as its native workflow process definition language.
It can be embedded into other Java applications (Swing, Console, ...) or
can be used as a server through WebService, EJB, CORBA, ...

Shark's modular, plug-in architecture makes shark suitable for
integration into different kind of projects.

It is a mature project started 5years ago, has a significant community
and more than 100000 downloads on ObjectWeb and almost 10000 posts on
mailing list. It is widely used all around the world in production,
typically integrated into different kind of applications, from
DocumentManagement and government applications up to applications for
special purposes like bank services, HR, Help desk, ... and in many,
many others

Our goal is to move the core shark components to Apache. We should have
no problems with CLAs since these components are developed only by our
core developers.
We would like to continue with Shark development on Apache by
re-factoring Shark kernel's code and other major components to support
XPDL2.1 specification.

Attached is an initial version of SharkProposal....Please feel free to
ask any question.

Greetings,
Sasa.