ode-dev mailing list archives

From Sasa Bojanic <sasa.boja...@prozone.rs>
Subject Re: Searching for a sponsor for Shark project on Apache
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:43:24 GMT
Alex,

to be honest, don't know much about ODE. I know ODE is BPEL engine...and
BPEL is used for orchestration of WebServices.
On the other hand, Shark is XPDL engine which means it supports both
Manual and Automatic tasks.
Manual tasks are assigned to humans. There is typically a
worklisthandler application written on top of the shark...and when user
logs in he sees his worklist with all the tasks he can execute. Tasks
are distributed to the users based on XPDL and implementation of
Assignment API plug-in component.
Automatic tasks are executed by the engine itself...and these tasks can
be anything you can write in your Java class (like communicating with
WebServices, sending an email, accessing database, interpreting script,
performing XSLT, ....)...and parameters for such activities are also
defined by XPDL.

One of the possible synergies is to use Shark to executes processes
triggered by ODE's call to a particular WebService (typical back-office
scenario).

The ODE users could think about using Shark for building task list
applications for the human related workflows...and Shark users can think
of using ODE to perform an actions that result from some human action.
e.g. human gets task to find some information on a net and enter it into
the workflow...he enters some parameters in the application and
completes the task...the next task could be automatic one that passes
this data to ODE which orchestrates with a certain web services and gets
back the result...result is filled back in shark's workflow...and so on

As I said, don't know too much about ODE and BPEL in general...we come
from XPDL world :-)

Greetings,
Sasa.