ode-dev mailing list archives

From "Decker, Gero" <Gero.Dec...@hpi.uni-potsdam.de>
Subject RE: GSOC project ideas
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:55:55 GMT
Hi everyone,

we are developing an open source process modeling tool that runs in the web browser. You might
have already heard about the Oryx project (http://bpt.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/Oryx for users and
http://code.google.com/p/oryx-editor/ for developers). It specifically supports BPMN 1.2 and
other process modeling languages. Just check out our online installation.

I think Oryx could be the perfect frontend for graphical BPEL debugging. Recently, we have
implemented two components that should make it quite easy to integrate with Apache ODE:
- There is a mashup-API that is very similar to Google's Maps API: It provides a read-only
view for process models and allows to easily visualize additional information on top of it.
E.g. you can add speech bubbles to elements in the model, in turn containing e.g. HTML divs.
We have used this API already to integrate with a number of other systems (such as ticket
management systems and BPM engines). Checkout examples at http://bpt.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/Oryx/MOVI.
- We have implemented a BPEL-2-BPMN transformator that visualizes BPEL processes using BPMN.
The generated BPMN diagram is then layouted automatically. For details please check out our
academic paper at http://bpt.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/pub/Public/GeroDecker/coopis2008-bpel2bpmn.pdf.

Oryx is developed under MIT license. The server component is developed in Java, the client-side
code is JavaScript. Rendering happens through SVG (in the editing mode) and PNG in the read-only
mashup-mode.

The final setup with Apache ODE could look as follows: A slim Oryx-war is deployed in addition
to the Apache ODE server, allowing for the BPEL-2-BPMN transformation, the PNG-generation
and the delivery of the JavaScript-code to the browser. The debugging-mashup comes on top,
accessing the corresponding ODE-APIs and visualizing it using the Oryx-functionality.

As an idea for the future, one could also think about using Oryx as configuration frontend
for BPEL processes. We have implemented BPMN-2-BPEL transformations which could serve as basis
for this.

We would be very happy to contribute as mentors in a joint Google Summer of Code project.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Gero