ode-dev mailing list archives

From Ciaran <ciar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSOC project ideas
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:48:13 GMT
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Alex Boisvert <boisvert@intalio.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Ciaran <ciaranj@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't believe that EXTJS' license is compatible with the existing ODE
> > licenses? Would this not cause
> > you some issues ?
>

> It depends what is meant by "incompatible".  The GPLv3 is compatible with
> ASLv2 although it is Apache policy to not distribute GPL'ed software so
> it's
> wouldn't be a very good choice for this project.

By 'compatible' I mean currently ODE can be distributed with commercial
applications without requiring the source-code of those commercial
application to be made available, whatever license ExtJs is currently under
(and I'm particularly bitter about this as their license changed several
times from an initially commercially-friendly license to ultimately a
dual-license solution that requires payment to distribute, and then tried to
scare people who had legitimately forked the application as per the original
license! ) precludes this from being the case, so by 'linking' (insert
today's definition of linking) to that library ODE would be tainted..... but
I do tend to find it very difficult to understand the whys+wherefores of
licensing so I could well be wrong :)
- Cj.